After an injury or illness
If one of your employees sustains a work-related injury or illness, the worker’s compensation program is in place to provide financial coverage for treatment and time lost from employment.
When this occurs, you are responsible for the following.
First things first…
|Make sure injured employee seeks medical help if needed.|
Initiate investigation of facts/root causes of accidents and near misses no later than 24 hours after they occur
Complete and submit to your Worker’s Compensation Coordinator within 24 hours of the date of the accident:
Be sure to…
Follow-up the investigation
If there's been a work rule violation:
- Consult with your Human Resources department regarding steps for employee discipline.
If there’s time lost from work:
- Remind the injured employee to provide medical documentation regarding any time away from work.
- Submit time reports and all supporting medical forms to the Worker’s Compensation Coordinator biweekly at a minimum.
If there are job restrictions:
- Arrange for alternate light duty work assignments for the injured worker and advise Worker’s Compensation Coordinator.
- Check your campus Return to Work program for additional information.
Page last saved: 07/16/2013