Partnerships and Participants
The Compass Project is one of the UW System’s signature programs in its collaboration with the Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U) on the LEAP Campaign (Liberal Education and America’s Promise).
- Supported through funding from the Carnegie Corporation and the Lumina Foundation;
- A three-year collaborative led by AAC&U that seeks to redesign general education on campuses in three state higher-education systems: the UW System, the California State University System, and the Oregon University System.
Susan Albertine, Senior Director for LEAP State Initiatives, and others from the AAC&U provide leadership and support to the three state systems.
Each of the state systems has identified three of its campuses to serve as beta or pilot sites for the grant program.
The UW System’s three Compass campuses or beta sites are:
- UW-Eau Claire
The UW System liaisons are Vicki Washington, Associate Vice President for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Rebecca Karoff, Special Assistant to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
A critical component of the Compass Project—Making Excellence Inclusive—focuses on underserved students by:
- examining existing effective educational practices (known as High-Impact Practices or HIPs);
- documenting underserved student participation in them; and
- ensuring that HIPS become more available to underserved students as a part of redesigned general education programs at Compass campuses.
At the heart of the Compass grant is the working hypothesis that state systems can serve as generative catalysts for change, in collaboration with, and supported at the campus level.