Trust Funds

Procedures for Creating, Changing and Closing Fund 161 Trust Fund Projects on SFS



  1. Send all requests for new fund 161 projects to Trust Funds, Attn: Trust Funds Accountant,
    780 Regent Street, Suite 305, Madison, WI  53715
    or via email at


  1. Trust Funds staff will assign the number and return the information to the person at the campus requesting the new project.  Trust Funds staff will then inform the campus when it is okay for their office to set up fund 161 ONLY on SFS.  (For Madison fund 161 set up on SFS, Trust Funds staff will send the information to Al Wang in Accounting Services).


Set up for fund 162 for ALL CAMPUSES will be done by Trust Funds staff.




1.   All changes or requests to close a fund 161 project MUST be sent to Trust Funds for approval and verification that the change/closure can be made according to the terms and conditions of the project.  (Madison: DO NOT request changes from UW MSN Accounting Services). 

Changes can include: addition or deletion of a UDDS, activity code, account name or start/end dates.  Changes also include budget transfers between parent and sub accounts, a request to block/unblock and/or activate/deactivate a project.   (Closing a project may include clearing the account to zero either by liquidation or a transfer, therefore it requires Trust Funds approval).  For any of these changes to fund 161, contact the Trust Funds Accountant in the Trust Funds office.  Either email or send the documents to the address listed under “new project/grant set up” procedures.                              

  1. The approved changes/closures will be forwarded by Trust Funds to the appropriate campus to make the change on SFS.  (For Madison fund 161 changes and closures on SFS, Trust Funds staff will send the information to Al Wang).


All changes/closures for fund 162 will be done by Trust Funds staff.


Any questions can be directed to Trust Funds staff.