SFS Upgrade Background & Goals
The University of Wisconsin System is upgrading the Shared Financials System (SFS) application from PeopleSoft version 8.9 to version 9.1. The PeopleSoft 9.1 Upgrade Project will seek to improve the existing PeopleSoft system through the incorporation of newly delivered functionality, standardization of current business processes, and reduction/re-evaluation of existing customizations in accordance with the "Voice of the Customer" (sessions). In doing so, we will seek to address some of the existing pain points within the current system in order to serve the University of Wisconsin community with greater efficiency and quality. The components and main benefits of this project include:
- Upgrade of existing PeopleSoft systems to version 9.1. This will allow UW System to continue to receive technical support from Oracle in the form of patches and bundles and avoid the additional system risk of running an unsupported version of the software.
- Opportunity to review existing customizations and to reduce the complexity of the customization, remove it, or replace it with newly delivered functionality.
- After being live with PeopleSoft Financials and Supply Chain Management (FSCM) for over ten years, the upgrade will also involve looking at targeted business processes in order to better leverage the software, reduce duplicative effort, and support a holistic view of all institutions obtained through the "Voice of the Customer" sessions and industry best practices.
- PeopleSoft functionality in version 9.1 should alleviate some current pain points within the system and may eliminate the need for some existing system modifications.
Development of Upgrade Methodology and Processes
- As part of this upgrade, UWSA, along with DoIT, will build on current methodologies and templates to best support the execution of future upgrades with minimal external assistance.
- The upgrade should also provide UWSA business analysts and DoIT technical support staff the opportunity to develop deep knowledge of PeopleSoft version 9.1 functionality and experience with upgrade tools and methodologies.
- Furthermore, this project will serve as an opportunity to update or create standard business process documents and test scripts and scenarios.