Office of Risk Management

Study Abroad Insurance Requirement

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What are the terms of this insurance coverage?

    The specific terms of this insurance are described in the insurance brochure. The policy number of the University of Wisconsin insurance is STB009987900.

    This insurance provides a comprehensive package of medical benefits and emergency services specifically designed to address the risks associated with study abroad. The coverage is primary. Specific benefits include:

    • Medical Expense (per accident/sickness) $500,000
    • Deductible Zero
    • Accidental Death/Dismemberment $25,000
    • Emergency Medical Evacuation up to $1,000,000
    • Repatriation of Remains up to $1,000,000
    • Team Assist Plan (see below) Included
    • Emergency Medical Reunion (see below) $10,000
    • Security Evacuation up to $1,000,000

    Medical benefits are automatically extended 90 days after expiration of the insurance for conditions first diagnosed or treated while the insurance was still in effect.

    The Team Assist Plan provides participants with assistance by telephone in the event that travel-related problems arise. This service is available worldwide 24 hours a day at no extra charge to the participant. The Assistance Provider will coordinate and answer all questions related to claims, medical assistance, travel assistance, and technical assistance.

    When an Insured Person is hospitalized for more than 3 days, the Company will reimburse for round trip economy-class transportation for one individual selected by the Insured Person, from the Insured Person's current Home Country to the location where the Insured Person is hospitalized. Coverage is also provided immediately (to up to 10 days) following a felonious assault (i.e. theft or rape) for victims needing the support of a family member or friend. The benefits reimbursable will include the cost of a round trip economy airfare and their hotel and meals (to a maximum of $250 per day) up to the maximum stated in the Schedule of Benefits, Emergency Medical Reunion.

    This insurance is provided under contract with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).

  2. Am I required to purchase this insurance?

    Current UW System policy (ACIS-7.1) requires that every participant in international education programs purchase insurance for accident and health, repatriation and medical evacuation. Beginning in Fall 2002, purchase of the CISI insurance coverage is mandatory for students enrolled in a study abroad or international exchange program sponsored by a UW System institution.

    For the purpose of this System-wide requirement, a program will be considered to be a Study Abroad or International Exchange program if it meets the following criteria:

    • The program is operated under the auspices of an office with designated responsibility for international programs at a UW System institution
    • The primary focus of the program is academic
    • The program activities occur outside the United States

    Enrollment for this program is managed at the campus level. Please consult your institution's international education office or risk management office for specific instructions.

  3. Who is eligible for this insurance?

    This insurance coverage is available to faculty, staff and students who engage in university-sponsored educational activities occurring outside the United States. A student is any person who is enrolled in a course or academic program at a UW System institution. Faculty and staff who travel abroad may be eligible for insurance benefits other than CISI.

    Effective with coverage starting on or after August 1, 2010 and before July 31, 2011, the plan will now allow for dependents of participants and faculty/staff abroad on university business. Dependent enrollment requests should be sent to CISI by the participant, faculty or staff member needing the coverage for his/her dependent(s). Please note that dependent insurance dates can not exceed participant insurance dates.

    Enrollment for this program is managed at the campus level. Please consult your institution's international education office or risk management office for specific instructions.

  4. How do I sign up?

    In most cases, enrollment for this insurance coverage is automatic for students participating in study abroad and international exchange programs. Participants in other international activities and programs should check with the sponsoring office at their UW System campus for further information about enrolling for this insurance.

  5. How do I file a claim if something happens?

    Prior to departure, all participants will receive an identification card and information explaining benefits under the program and what they need to do to file a claim. Detailed information and forms for filing a claim are included in the insurance brochure.

  6. Can this insurance be used for domestic travel, such as Geology field trips within the continental United States?


  7. I am taking a course for CEU credit. Does this requirement apply to me?

    Persons receiving Continuing Education Units (CEU) for coursework at a UW System institution are students for the purposes of this insurance requirement.

  8. I am going abroad on a University-sponsored Study Tour program. Does the insurance requirement apply to me?

    Perhaps. The insurance requirement automatically applies only for students enrolled in study abroad and exchange programs sponsored by a UW System institution. However, study tours and other university-sponsored activities abroad may require the participants to purchase this insurance.

  9. I am going to Canada with University Ski Club between terms. Can I buy this insurance?

    No. This insurance is intended to provide coverage for university-sponsored academic programs and activities outside the United States, and so does not extend to activities sponsored by student or community organizations or those that are primarily recreational.

  10. What if I already have insurance for international travel?

    To ensure that all students have the standard level of coverage, this insurance is mandatory for UW System students engaged in study abroad or exchange programs, regardless of what other insurance coverage the student may have.

  11. What about programs that require students to buy insurance coverage through the host country? Can I get a waiver from the UW insurance requirement?

    No. Some countries require the purchase of country insurance in order to secure an international student visa, and so purchase of the UW System insurance may seem unnecessary. However, there are some important differences between the two types of coverage. Country insurance generally provides no benefit for medical evacuation and repatriation. Country insurance is specific to the host country, and will not provide coverage for participants who travel to other countries while abroad. For these reasons, the UW System insurance requirement will not be waived in these circumstances. Please note that some foreign consulates may issue student visas without requiring purchase of the country insurance if the participant can provide proof of coverage under a valid group plan. The sponsoring UW System institution and CISI will work with participants to provide proof of coverage letters for submission to consulates.

  12. Are there any age restrictions associated with this coverage?


  13. Does this insurance cover injury resulting from acts of war or terrorism?

    No - this insurance does not cover any consequence, whether directly or indirectly, proximately or remotely occasioned by, contributed to by, or traceable to, or arising in connection with war, invasion, act of foreign enemy hostilities, warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), or civil war; mutiny, riot, strike, military or popular uprising insurrection, rebellion, revolution, military or usurped power.

  14. Does this insurance cover program costs if the trip is cancelled?

    Trip Cancellation coverage provides benefits up to the maximum stated in the Schedule of Benefits, Trip Cancellation, for Loss(es) the Insured Person incurs for trips if cancelled prior to departure. Coverage is provided for losses (after the Effective Date) the Insured Person incurs due to the cancellation of the Insured Person's trip if caused by:

    1. Death of the Insured Person or Family Member
    2. The Insured Person suffers a new injury or Sickness. The severity or acuteness of the condition must be so disabling as to reasonably cause the Trip to be cancelled and a Physician has recommended that due to the severity of the condition it is Medically Necessary that the Insured Person cancels the trip. The Insured Person must be under the direct care and attendance of a Physician.
    3. The Insured Person is hijacked or quarantined (medical isolation by a recognized government authority at the place of departure) or there is an Epidemic prohibiting travel to the Insured Person's scheduled destination.
    4. The Insured enters full-time active duty in any Armed Forces; and We receive proof of such active duty service.

    For all of the above situations, the incident that causes cancellation must occur within 30 days of the scheduled travel dates. The Company will reimburse for the following:

    The amount of forfeited, and prepaid, and non-refundable unused payments or deposits that were paid for the Covered Trip. Application fee, confirmation deposit and the insurance fee/premium are not reimbursable.

    In no event shall the amount reimbursed exceed the lesser of the amount the Insured Person prepaid for the Covered Trip or the maximum benefit shown on the Schedule of Benefits.

  15. Can I cancel the insurance after I've paid for it?

    Yes, however the sponsoring UW System institution must request cancellation. Refunds are based on the number of full months of remaining coverage.

  16. For how long am I covered by this insurance?

    In addition to the Monthly Rate, there are three short term program rate options (One Week Rate, Two Week Rate, and Three Week Rate).

    The One Week Rate is for a short term program of 1-7 days.

    The Two Week Rate is for a short term program of 8-14 days.

    The Three Week Rate is for a short term program of 15-21 days.

    For programs of greater than 21 days please use the Monthly Rate times the number of months needed as you have done in the past (i.e. August 1 to December 13 would still be 5 times the Monthly Rate).

  17. How much does the insurance cost?

    Monthly Rate: One Week Rate: Two Week Rate: Three Week Rate:
    Per Participant: $34.00 Per Participant: $9.00 Per Participant: $17.00 Per Participant: $26.00
    Per Dependent: $58.00 Per Dependent: $15.00 Per Dependent: $29.00 Per Dependent: $44.00
  18. Does this insurance cover trip interruption?

    Trip Interruption coverage provides benefits up to the maximum stated in the Schedule of Benefits, Trip Interruption, for Loss(es) the Insured Person incurs for trips if interrupted after departure. Coverage is provided for losses (after the Effective Date) the Insured Person incurs due to the interruption of the Insured Person's trip if caused by Death or Life Threatening Accident or Sickness of a Family Member.

    Coverage is provided for the cost of a round trip air or ground transportation ticket of the same class as the unused travel ticket to return an Insured Person from the International airport nearest to where the Insured Person was located at the time of learning of such death to the International airport nearest to: (i) the location of the funeral or place of burial in the case of the death of a Family Member; subject to the following conditions and limitations:

    1. The Insured Person must be outside of his/her Home Country at the time of the death of the Family Member; and
    2. The Death of the Family Member must have occurred during the Period of Coverage.
  19. Is this insurance available to international students studying in Wisconsin?

    This insurance does not provide coverage for activities occurring in the United States. However, any student enrolled in a study abroad or exchange program will be required to purchase this insurance, regardless of nationality.

Back to Study Abroad