Office of the President

Brittingham House History

The Grounds

Today, the Brittingham House’s 15-acre grounds, with a combination of wooded areas and formal lawn and gardens, are among the few undeveloped areas on Madison's west side. The gardens are enjoyed by hundreds of visitors each year.

Sprawling across the grounds are groves of maple, pine and spruce, originally installed by Thomas Brittingham, Sr., which provide food and habitat for wild turkey, fox, owls and a variety of other wildlife.

Entrance to the Phyllis S. Young Woodland Garden. Photo taken during the 2012 Olbrich Garden Tour.

 

Photo of turkey

Photo of three turkeys
Wild turkeys roam the property, fall 2009.

 

Photo of Tandem Press event at Brittingham house grounds, 2007

Guests enjoy the Brittingham House grounds, Tandem Press Wine Auction, 2007.

 

Two other buildings reside on the grounds: the old carriage house and the squash house. The squash house was the recreational center housing the squash court, game room, and locker rooms. Adjacent to the squash house is the tennis court, but a swimming pool, one of the first in the city, no longer exists.

Garage, 1918

Historic photo: Pump house (right) and 3-car garage topped with carriage house where chauffer and wife lived, 1918.

 

Photo of Dunmuven, 1916.

Photo of bird bath, 1917.
East end of home, 1916.
Bird bath on the grounds, 1917.

 

>> Artwork

<< Back to home