OPID FALL MEETING
J. F. Friedrick Center, Madison
September 26, 2003

Minutes

Present: Donna Anderson, Hal Bertilson, Diane Bywaters, Linda Carpenter, Lori Carrell (designee for Linda Freed), Tony Ciccone, Bill Cerbin, Steve Friedman, Gerald Greenfield, Debby Hanmer, Fergus Hughes, Doug Johnson, Rosemary Keefe, Kitty Kingston (designee for Cathy Helgeland), John Koker, Greg Lampe (designee for Shirley Hensch), Kate Lang, Marty Loy, Ton LoGuidice, Lisa Riedle, Dan Riordan, Virginia Sapiro, Antonia Schleicher, Kay Taube, Greg Valde.

Absent: Lucy Arendt, John Attig, Jane Ewens, Linda Freed, Cathy Helgeland, Nan Jordahl, Penny Lyter, John Murphy, Richard Omalley ,Tim Sewall

Staff: Lisa Kornetsky, Director; Donna Silver, Assistant Director; Holly Loomis, Program Assistant.

Guests: Ron Singer, Associate Vice President; Amy Krist, UW-Eau Claire; Renee Meyers, Katina Lazarides and Jude Rathburn, UW-Milwaukee


Prior to the start of the Fall Meeting, Doug Johnson, Lisa Kornetsky and Donna Silver welcomed and provided an orientation to the following new and returning members—Hal Bertilson, Debby Hanmer, Rosemary Keefe and Kate Lang.

OPID’s Fall Meeting convened at 10:15 a.m. with a word of welcome from Doug Johnson, OPID Chair. Doug then had members introduce themselves.

Lisa Kornetsky, OPID Director, updated the Council on the following issues/activities:

Review of OPID Calendar. Lisa reviewed the calendar with the Council and explained that the OPID Executive Committee decided to cancel the OPID Spring Meeting due to the budget. Once again we will conduct the business of the Council in the spring using email or some other “virtual” venue.

OPID Staff /Office Update. Lisa reminded that Council that OPID was created as a grass roots organization to meet the faculty development needs of the then, new UW System, 26 years ago. Over the years OPID has evolved to be an office which not only does the work of the Council but has become an integral part of the Office of Academic and Student Services (ACSS). Although the responsibilities for the office have greatly increased, the actual staff size has decreased. In addition to this the level of autonomy has shifted; in part due to Senior Administration’s wish to operate under a unified set of initiatives but also due to the consolidation of the ACSS budget. All this makes it a necessity for the OPID staff and the Council to explore how best to use our limited resources to meet the priorities of the Council and of ACSS. OPID will need the campuses to help figure out what faculty development should look like at the System level. Lisa summed up the situation by stating the bottom line is that the OPID staff is no longer in control of its workload. The activities which reflect OPID’s values and priorities are being whittled away. There is a need to assess the faculty development work OPID does. In this context she mentioned the program review of OPID that is currently underway by Operations Review and Audit Office. Having surveyed OPID’s many constituents, that office is in the process of writing a report that will evaluate how and what OPID is doing to support systemwide faculty development. In addition to this review, the staff and executive committee, feel that it is crucial to ensure that our bottom-up history continues. It has never been more important to hear from our constituents that our values, priorities and initiatives accurately reflect the needs of the campuses. The OPID reps can play vital role in linking OPID to the campuses.

Department Chairs Meeting. This meeting will take place on the 13-14 of November. It is a joint venture between ACSS and UW System General Counsel. OPID sees this as a transition year for this event. The Provosts think this is one of the most important services we provide; however, with limited resources it is hard to figure out the best way to accomplish this training for Chairs. One option under exploration is implementing a web-based collaboration with campuses and the System. A working group will be created sometime soon, Lisa asked that reps who are interested participating in that group, contact her. She also referred reps to look at their handout about the UW System Sloan Project of Academic Career Advancement, when she mentioned that this project is very interested in working with Chairs.

Curriculum Infusion Conference, February 27, 2003. This one-day event is being collaboratively planned by OPID, the Office of Academic Development and Diversity (OADD), IGS (Institute for Global Studies), IRE (Institute for Race and Ethnicity) and the Women's Studies Consortium. The day will celebrate best practices (of infusing issues such as of diversity, gender, and service learning) from a variety of disciplines within the UW System.

Wisconsin Teaching Fellows and Scholars Programs. The Fact Sheets for the 2004-05 Fellows and Scholars Programs were given to the OPID reps to distribute on their home campuses. Lisa mentioned the Provosts have strongly supported both programs, even in these difficult budgetary times. She also announced that OPID was about to apply for the Hesburgh Award for Faculty Development to Enhance Undergraduate Teaching and Learning. She acknowledged the work of Donna Silver, Cathy Helgeland and Rebecca Karoff in writing the application.

OPID Spring Conference. The dates for this event have changed to April 13-14. The conference theme will focus on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, guest speakers will include the co-directors of the Carnegie Academy for Scholarship of Teaching and Learning; Barbara Cambridge, AAHE Vice President and Pat Hutchings, Carnegie Foundation Vice President.

AAHE Events related to the SoTL Leadership Site. Lisa reminded reps that their campuses have agreed to send a SOTL representative to the March 2004, AAHE Colloquium. She also mentioned that a group of reps will be selected to attend the 2004 AAHE Summer Academy and that OPID will provide support for this event.

Grants. Lisa announced a March 26th Grants Writing Workshop currently being planned by all of the UW System Grants Coordinators. She then explained that in consultation with the Executive Committee the decision was made to use the UTLG money for 2004-05 to provide an opportunity for campuses to apply for a second year of funding. She also mentioned that the call for Spring 2004 Conference Development Grants was distributed by email earlier in the week.

AAHE SoTL Leardership Site. Renee Meyers, Leadership Site Coordinator and Katina Lazarides, Program Coordinator were introduced to the Council members. Renee then gave a progress report on the Leadership site. The mission, vision and goals of the site as well as current activities are posted on the Leadership Site website which can be accessed at http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/LeadershipSite/. Bill Cerbin then discussed his role on the Leadership Executive Committee, explaining the importance of developing a community of practice and how that entails both training the trainers and providing the tools for individuals so that they can get started in doing a SoTL work.


After a brief break the Council divided into two groups. The Administrative reps and Academic Staff rep. went on to discuss how to best serve OPID in disseminating information to their campus and how to bring information from the campus back to OPID. The Faculty reps met with Renee to discuss their role as the Advisory Council to the Leadership Site.

The discussion of the Faculty Reps focused on the composition of the Advisory Council to the Leadership Site. Since the PI for the SoTL grants in some cases is the Administrative Rep or someone else on the campus the debate centered on who should be part of the Advisory Council. Some felt the Faculty Rep should be involved regardless; others felt that the PI should be the contact person for the campus. Renee expressed concern about the size of the Council, but others felt that most campuses would just have one person representing them so that if 2 or 3 campuses wanted to have two people involved the size of the Council would still be manageable. Nothing was really resolved in this meeting, it was generally agreed that the executive committees of the OPID and Advisory Councils still need to work out some of these details.

The discussion of the Administrative Reps focused on sharing the ways that institutions communicate with faculty and senior leadership about systemwide faculty development opportunities. The group spent time thinking about ways to improve/expand recruitment of faculty/staff to OPID events and activities, and participants gave some feedback to Lisa about ways to make Faculty College more inviting. Finally, the group spent time discussing the OPID Spring meeting and the need to bring people together so that campuses can learn from one another and stay connected to System face –to- face. The group expressed strong need to be recognized by System Administration as an important constituent group.

Following lunch, Ron Singer, Associate Vice President of the Office of Academic and Student Services, discussed System’s priorities and the challenges of aligning them with the interests of the state, the campus and individual faculty. He referred to an Office of Academic Affairs planning session where three priorities were identified: 1. integrated planning, 2. providing access to underrepresented populations and 3. student learning. He also sited two overriding principles that guide OAA: 1. assessment and 2. streamlining the bureaucracy in the UW System. He acknowledge the challenge for OPID to balance its autonomy issues while aligning its activities with institutional and system priorities.

The faculty development component of the meeting consisted of two presentations that provided examples of SoTL to Council members. 2002-03 Wisconsin Teaching Fellow, Amy Krist, from UW-Eau Claire, shared with the Council her SoTL project: Overturning Commonly Held Misconceptions about Evolution in and Ecology and Evolution Course for Science Majors and Minors. Doug Johnson then provided a brief description of UW-River Fall’s SoTL Initiative.

The Council than broke up into groups by type of SoTL Initiative to discuss issues such as: faculty buy-in, sustainability, other barriers, and successes.

When the groups reconvened, Lisa alerted the Council that Faculty Staff Allocations Funds will again be available to their institutions with a cut of 5%. Referring back to OPID grant programs, she stated that OPID’s expectation was that grant funds be spent within the fiscal year of the grant; otherwise the funds should be returned to OPID. Lastly the Council agreed by consensus that the next round of the UTLG grants should include a campus match of 25%.

The Council adjourned its Fall Meeting at 3:45 p.m.
--Submitted by Donna Silver