Learn@UW Executive Committee
LMS Exploratory Task Force
In the Summer of 2010, the Learn@UW Executive Committee formed this task force to report on the current state of the learning management system.
UWS currently supports Desire2Learn (D2L) as a system wide learning management system. Our contract with D2L ends July 2013. With the fast changing LMS landscape, new technology possibilities, and an agreement with the state's Department of Administration to study the LMS market prior to the next renewal of contract, the Learn@UW Executive Committee has formed the LMS Exploratory Task Force as a first step to address the future direction of LMS platform at UW System.
Charge to the Task Force:
- Study the status of the current LMS (D2L) at UW campuses from the faculty, students, and programs perspectives. Gather the unmet needs and requirements on D2L as an effective e-learning environment
- Scan the current LMS environment, the upcoming e-learning trends, and ascertain how D2L positions itself compared to others
- Determine areas that should be addressed by the LMS or via other strategies to meet the need of online learning in the next five years or beyond
- Make recommendations to the Learn@UW EC and the UW System CIO on the next steps in the LMS direction
Deliverables and Timeline
The Task Force will deliver a written report on the findings and recommendations to the Learn@UW Executive Committee and the UWS CIO by July 1, 2011.
Membership is appointed by the Learn@UW Executive Committee at the recommendation of its members.
Department of Distance Education
Learning Technology Services
|D2L Site Administrator||UW-Milwaukee|
|Learning Technology Manager||UW-Green Bay|
|Lead, UW Utility Support Team
Department of Social Work
|Lorna Wong (Chair)
Learning Technology Development
|UW System Administration|
- Ed Meachen, Associate Vice President, CIO
UW System Administration
- Al Hartman, Faculty, Management; Chair, Learn@UW Executive Committee
Charter of the LMS Exploratory Task Force
A project charter was developed by the Task Force to guide the scope of the project and related work plan and actions. The charter for this task force is to be approved formally by the executive sponsors.
Periodic Update of the Status of the project will be posted on the LMS Exploratory Task Force blog.
Task force members are the authors of the content on this site. We plan to provide periodic updates on the status of this work group. Our meetings are scheduled at varying intervals, so it is likely that updates to this site will be similarly irregular. We invite you to contact any of the task force members with your questions or comments.
Questions and Volunteers
If you have any questions or are interested in volunteering your expertise in this effort, there are plenty of participation opportunities. Please contact any members of the task force, or Lorna Wong, chair (firstname.lastname@example.org).