Office of Learning and Information Technology

University of Wisconsin CIO Council

UW–River Falls

July 20, 2007

Attendees

CIOs and their Representatives Guests

Nancy Crabb
David Dumke
Chip Eckardt
Ken Frasier
Marsha Henfer
John Krogman
Bruce Maas
Ed Meachen
Kathy Pletcher
Elena Pokot
Mary Schoeler
Ken Splittgerber
David Stack
John Tillman
Lisa Wheeler

Kathy Caya - teleconference
Lorie Docken - teleconference
David Hart
David Lois
Jim Lowe - teleconference
Diane Mann - teleconference
Paul Moriarty
Brian Remer
Lori Voss - teleconference


UW-River Falls Consulting Wrap-up

The CIO's spent the afternoon of July 19th in focus group discussions for the benefit of UW-River Falls IT Service Department. Lisa Wheeler expressed her appreciation to the CIO's for the consulting and the reinforcement of the importance of prioritizing and focusing on a few items despite the large number pressing needs.Lisa Wheeler said it was good to get the feedback of the Council on some of the campus organizational issues that have been pending. David Dumke suggested that members of the CIO Council could offer their expertise on particular high priority projects once they are identified.

Ed Meachen complimented Lisa Wheeler on how well the focus group process worked. The enthusiastic participation of the UW–River Falls faculty and staff was impressive. The Council is interested in following the ongoing developments at UW–River Falls over the next year.

Security and Credential Assessment Update

Before the meeting, Jim Lowe distributed a compilation of the findings from the CAF assessment instrument that was completed by each institution. A draft report for each institution will be distributed for verification and feedback next week. The reports will include specific recommendations for each institution and the general results of scans of the institutional networks. For security purposes, explicit listings of the potential vulnerabilities will not be included in the reports. The institutions are asked to contact Jim Lowe and his staff for further details.

The goal of this effort is for each institution to develop plans to achieve NIST level of assurance 2 (LOA-2) which may require the investment of additional resources. The assessment will be redone in the November/December timeframe and will include questions regarding when LOA-2 compliance will be reached.

Currently, the assessments report the number of SFS users at each institution. In another year or so, the number of HR users will be counted as well. Overall, the UWS is in good shape regarding the availability and integrity of credentialing, but confidentiality and auditability tend to lag.

The CIO Council recommended the CBOs and others be aware of the need for action in this arena so that these are not perceived as just IT issues, especially as the use of campus credentials extends to additional systemwide resources, such as HR. The Council will have a discussion of the institutional findings at the August 16th meeting.

UW–Madison is now using Watchfire software for detecting plain text Social Security numbers in the intra-institutional network traffic. DoIT is willing to do web application security scans for other UWS institutions.

UW-Madison is working toward two factor authentication for its systems that contain restricted data. Firewalls are being deployed in the DoIT data center. The annual Lockdown conference is scheduled for August 9, 2007.

Enterprise Performance Management Update

Kathy Caya reported on efforts to develop a systemwide repository for all kinds of reporting, beginning with CDR. It was not easy to install an instance of Oracle Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) at FASTAR and the documentation for using it with student solutions is minimal. It was determined that significant additional FASTAR resources and a consultant would be required. Arizona State University in Tempe reported that they required a year and up to 8 Oracle consultants to get EPM running with their student system. Therefore, EPM is not considered viable for the UWS at this time. When the Human Capital Management project gets underway, it may be feasible to proceed with EPM because the integration with that product is presumably more mature. Lorie Docken reported that modest funds were set aside for EPM in the Common Systems budget for the coming fiscal year, but those would be inadequate and it will be recommended that the staff resources be redeployed to the Student System version 9 upgrade project.

Elena Pokot asked about future MILER support for RDS in regard to version 9. David Hart confirmed that MILER does not plan to support RDS over the long term. Kathy Caya reported that creating the RDS mappings was a one time conversion project that was expensive and time consuming to maintain and not many UWS institutions are using it. Lorie Docken suggested that different support models be discussed given the use of RDS by UW–Milwaukee and UW–Whitewater.

Hyperion Update

David Hart reported that it was decided at the June 2007 CIO Council meeting to stay at Hyperion version 8 and not upgrade. There is a new Hyperion foundational environment at FASTAR for keeping track of the three types of Hyperion licenses: Explorer, Insight and iHTML. It is possible to enter and edit the names of the people who hold the various types of licenses. If a person uses more than one type of license, their name must be entered multiple times.

It is proposed that each institution's designee populate the tracking environment with names for each of the three types of users. Most UWS institutions will find it challenging to identify their iHTML users as required by the contract maturity terms. There are sufficient iHTML licenses for the estimated number of current users, but that may not be the case in a year or two. Additional iHTML licenses may cost a few hundred dollars apiece. At various institutions, the number of authorized users may be larger than the number of active users. Lorie Docken reported that the intention is to report the number of active users. Due to a shortcoming in the Hyperion product, for the next couple months it will not be possible to generate reports of the names associated with the three license types.

UW-Eau Claire removed all three license types from all of their computers and then implemented an SMS package to monitor license downloads. Another possibility may be to list all of the currently authorized users and then begin counting over again with the implementation of the next version of Hyperion.

The Council asked Lorie Docken to set up a small working group to brainstorm possible license identification and tracking scenarios. She will bring up these issues with the Hyperion core team working group in two weeks. Lisa Wheeler, Bruce Maas, John Krogman and Elena Pokot will develop the high level requirements for a Hyperion license strategy. A long term strategy for business intelligence also needs to be explored.

Procurement Update

Microsoft

Lori Voss sent the Council information on efforts to negotiate deeper discounts on enterprise CALs, especially for students. Microsoft's current offer is for a lesser discount than currently enjoyed and requires participation of the entire UWS in addition to the technical colleges. Because of the high price for student CALs, the majority of the UWS institutions and the technical colleges are willing to hold off on buying enterprise CALs for their faculty/staff population for the time being. UW–Eau Claire will be buying enterprise CALS for their faculty/staff, but looking at the use of third-party products for anti-virus scanning for their students. It may be possible to negotiate for discrete, rather than bundled products.

Since the UWS will be transitioning to a new Campus Agreement, it is possible to drop products this year. A new master agreement is currently being negotiated.

Enrollment data needs to be communicated to CDWG. Some institutions have expressed concerns about changes in their faculty/staff FTE counts that Lori Voss will investigate.

IT Services Contract

Lori Voss needs feedback from the CIO Council regarding use of the IT Services Contract. DOA asserts that the usage of the contract by the UWS is equivalent to the combined use by the state agencies and therefore wants UWS involvement in planning for the implementation of the new contract procedures. The Council members will contact Lori Voss by July 25th regarding their level of interest, if any, in the contract.

Service Center Advisory Committee Update

Ed Meachen reported that there were many UWS HR directors and payroll experts at the recent Service Center Advisory Committee meeting. Ciber consultants addressed the attendees' questions. Bruce Maas and Lorie Docken reported that progress has been made since the aborted Appointment Payroll and Benefits System project and relationships between IT staff and HR staff have improved significantly.

Bruce Maas distributed a draft list of Recommended Best Business Practices for the new HR system that Ed Meachen will take to the chancellors along with a document outlining the principles for new Common Systems. At the provost's retreat, Ed Meachen discussed the issues, such as summer scheduling, that are within their purview and consequently best practices working groups will be created.

Members of the Council expressed concern that the consultants for the HR and student systems work together to reduce the needs for developing campus-specific interfaces between the two systems and redundant data entry.

Lorie Docken and Ed Meachen met with Elise Barho and UW–Milwaukee HR Director Karl Sparks. They brainstormed the idea of holding a high level visioning retreat for about 20 UWS executives to lay out the potential value of the HR project regardless of product. A chancellor or president of an institution with a exemplary HR system would be invited to present. A subsequent meeting would be held for a large number of functional and technical staff, similar to the APBS retreat from a couple years ago. Plans for implementation, education and communication would flow out of that meeting. A communications plan was already developed by a working group at the close of the APBS project.

Also at the SCAC meeting, there was unanimous agreement that campuses should email Dual Choice information locally, rather than having a systemwide email broadcast.

David Dumke raised concerns about the potential addition of data elements to IAA and the UWS data hub without a defined approval process or governance structure for the data hub.

Next meeting

The Council thanked Lisa Wheeler and her staff for hosting the meeting.

The next CIO Council meeting will be August 16, 2007 in Madison.

Meeting dates, the directory of UWS CIOs and meeting summaries are available at: http://www.uwsa.edu/olit/cio/