Office of Learning and Information Technology

CIO Agenda for June 21, 2007

CIO Agenda for June 21, 2007:

Ciber Enterprise Solutions Consulting

Common Systems Review Group

UW System Procurement Update

Hyperion Presentation

CIO Discussion of Hyperion

IT Records Management

ImageNow   

Student System Upgrade/Roadmap Working Group     

Identity Management RFP       

E-mails and IAA

Security/SFS

CIO Meeting at River Falls

Next Meeting

CIOs and their Representatives Guests

Dick Cleek
Nancy Crabb
David Dumke
Jack Duwe
Chip Eckardt
John Krogman
Bruce Maas
Ed Meachen
Kathy Pletcher
Elena Pokot
Mary Schoeler
Ken Splittgerber
John Tillman
Doug Wahl
Lisa Wheeler

David Alarie
David Hart
Amy Little, Ciber
Dave Lois
Lorie Docken
Paul Moriarty
Leslie Perelman
John Peterson

Ed Meachen convened the meeting at 8:30 and congratulated Bruce Maas who had just been appointed the Chief Information Officer at UW-Milwaukee.  Meachen also recognized the work of Dick Cleek who was attending his last CIO meeting before heading off into retirement.

CIBER Enterprise Solutions Consulting

Lorie Docken, UWS Project Director, reported that UW System has contracted with CIBER Enterprise Solutions to provide consulting services as the Human Resource System (HRS) project is being defined.  The CSRG and the UW Service Center Executive Committee are sponsoring the consulting engagement.  Lorie distributed a one page outline of the deliverables that will be provided by CIBER.  Amy Little from CIBER Enterprise Solutions will be the lead consultant and will interview a number of UW personnel.  The interviews are categorized into 3 types: high-level project planning, functional readiness, and technical readiness.  With this process, they will be able to begin to define the project vision, scope and objectives for the HRS project.  Any Little will also be meeting with the UW Service Center Advisory committee and payroll representatives at UW-Eau Claire on July 10th.

By early August, CIBER will provide documentation that outlines recommendations regarding: project vision, objectives, and scope; project organization and team structure; project governance; high-level project time line; assessment of functional readiness; assessment of technical readiness; and project risks and constraints.  This documentation will be shared with UW System groups throughout the fall, 2007 for feedback and refinement.  UWS will also be hosting a conference event in the fall that will bring together several groups to provide further input on the HRS project scope and objectives.

The next phase of the planning will be launched in January, 2008 with a fit/gap analysis let by CIBER to determine the overall implementation issues facing UW System with the Oracle/PeopleSoft HRS modules.  The results of the Fit/Gap Analysis will be documented and a formal project plan and budget will be developed.

Amy Little, CIBER Enterprise Solutions, was introduced and she explained her extensive experience both with CIBER and PeopleSoft applications.  Amy is meeting with most of the Executive Service Center Executive Committee to get insights on the current environment and to explain CIBER’s approach.  She also will be meeting with DoIT’s technical staff.  She explained the incremental prototyping methodology is to begin at the general level and then drill down to the more specific levels.  After the initial set of deliverables is available, then there would need to be work on basic integration with modification and integrated testing.  This would need to be followed by environmental integration testing followed by final testing before UWS could go live with HRS.

Common System Review Group

Ed Meachen reported on his meeting with the chancellors.  There was a good discussion and they were especially interested in the FY09 budget and the implications for the future.  They were also very interested in achieving more consistent business practices and how to address these issues.  Ed also has met with the provosts and discussed a number of issues including academic calendars, summer payments and work study payments, all of which affect the HRS implementation.  There was a general discussion of the issues related to the academic calendar.  Kathy Pletcher suggested decoupling the calendar from payroll issues.  It was also indicated that there could be the benefit of greater course availability through calendar standardization.

There was a general discussion of funding and Ed Meachen reported that a CSRG sub-group would be studying various funding models.  Dave Dumke asked if after the fit/gap analysis was completed if it was determined the project couldn’t be funded, could the project could be halted.  The answer was yes. However, if the decision is made to go forward, then there needs to be a commitment to fund it.  The deliverables from CIBER will provide options on how to fill gaps, etc.

UW System Procurement

There was a brief discussion of the Hyperion issues.  It appears that the counts are OK and we have some capacity for additional users.  There is a question as to how long version 8 will be supported and we need the answer in writing.  There are some features in system 9 that are attractive to the user community but there may not be a compelling reason to change.

Lori Voss reported that Kolleen Apelgren is on sick leave and will not be able to complete the CIC Semantic contract.  Campuses are asked to contract Semantic directly to renew their contracts during the new week or two.

In regard to Microsoft, there was a good presentation at the meeting last week but the issue of the e-cal for students has not been resolved.  There had been a good meeting with CDWG and they have done their homework, including the work with the Wisconsin Technical Colleges.  They will be prepared once a Microsoft contract if finalized.  Because of the new campus agreement with Microsoft which is occurring at the end of year two of a three year contract, campuses will be able to drop products and not wait until the end of year 3 of the current contract.    Each campus will also be able to do their renewals individually which should make things simpler.  CDWG will coordinate the renewals.  There will be a 35% discount on the core cals with a 15% discount on other direct order Microsoft products.  There will also be an additional 207% discount from CDWG.

In regard to the Vendor Maintenance System contract, there are 60 vendors included and there will need to be a team to help with the VMS implementation.  During the week of July 16th, volunteers will be needed to help establish how to set up the web based VMS.

Hyperion Presentation

 Barbara Gehl-Bland (Hyperion) and Robert Gertsen (Oracle) provided a presentation on Hyperion System 9 and explained the advantages of moving to the new version.  Gertsen indicated that with Oracle’s purchase of Hyperion, the Hyperion team will stay together and that 90 of Hyperion’s staff are continuing with Oracle.  They do not anticipate a reduction and expect to actually increase staff.  A System 9 contract would enable UW System to move to a CPU-based license rather than the current Named User Contract.  They suggested there would be administration and staff savings across the UW System by moving to Hyperion 9.  Robert Gertsen also explained the potential savings by agreeing to purchase the new system in the next 9 days.  Barbara Gehl-Bland indicated that a UW contract would include a clause that if Oracle fuses products then UW can move to like features and functions.  However, when there are new functions, then Oracle will offer a migration path.  The cost to move to Hyperion 9 included a $325,880 license cost and $170.694 annual maintenance.  The existing maintenance on Dashboard Builder is $15,260 and is billed to the campuses.  These costs do not include the cost to implement Hyperion 9.

Hyperion, continued…

Lori Voss, Lorie Docken, and David Hart continued the discussion on the Hyperion contract.  New information included the protection of “like to like” functionality in the proposed contract for System 9 and some student use.  There was a general discussion on the cost/benefits of the new functionality.  It was also mentioned that the Fastar implementation costs would be significant.  It was pointed out that UW institutions were well within their license.  The unanimous consensus was to stay with version 8 and continue the maintenance.  The CIOs are committed to staying within the user base given that there is good capacity.  Dave Dumke raised the question of how to apportion licenses and that the issue should be taken up at a future meeting.

IT Records Management

Laura Dunek, UW System, gave a brief report on IT records management.  The Public Records Board is working with DOA on records management schedules and DOA wants schedules for IT added to the functional areas of the schedules that are underway.  There is a need to identify by the end of the week several IT staff who could help review the schedules.  The timeline is that the schedules would be reviewed during the summer and fall.  John Krogman, Kathy Pletcher, and Judy Caruso were suggested and Laura Dunek will be contacting them by e-mail.

ImageNow

John Krogman reported that John Wilson is trying to negotiate a system-wide contract since there is no procurement authority to expand the current license.  Krogman distributed a UWS ImageNow Site License Data sheet and asked the CIOs to fill in the contact information and license type.  Stout, Eau Claire, and Madison were asked to share their quotes.  While the software integrates with PeopleSoft, it was suggested it was expensive to scale.

Student System Upgrade/Roadmap Working Group

Brian Busby provided an update on the Oracle/PeopleSoft Campus Solutions Application Upgrade Strategy/Road Map.  A working group has been formed to explore the issues and develop recommendations for an upgrade strategy for the campus solutions application across the UW System.  The explicit outcome includes developing an upgrade strategy for future versions of the Campus Solutions application.  The road map and upgrade strategy incorporates many initiatives including UPK, address cleansing, EPM, and SOA into a larger plan.  Implicit outcomes include providing campuses with adequate information to make informed decisions about upgrade paths, understanding of what and how UW System will support Student Information System and understanding the roles for campus, MILER and FASTAR.  It was agreed that the task force will establish a short timeline for achieving the initiative to develop a specific roadmap for Campus Solutions, including which versions will be supported by UW-System, the timeline for upgrades and implementations, and the alignment and role of other initiatives such as UPK.    It was also agreed that it was important to create a re-definition of Campus Solutions as a common system and develop a set of principles that provides a balance between commonality and campus autonomy.

Identify Management RFP

Chris Holsman, reviewed the current software procurement status for identity and access management software.   A DoIT team has been organized let by Pam Allen and mostly staffed by middleware staff.  The software will include architect, security and applications and Kolleen Apelgren is the procurement specialist on the project.  The goal is to acquire a suite of identify and access management software that will support UW-Madison and UW-System’s identify and access management roadmap.  The goal is also to make the suite available to UW system institutions for local deployment if desired.  Capabilities of the software should include identify life cycle management, provisioning, access management, audit and compliance and directory services and repositories. 

The 2007 timeline includes issuing the RFP by the end of July, with responses by the end of September and vendor awarded the contract by the end of October.  To date, the teams have been formed for each high level capability and the identified services and detailed requirements for each capability have been completed.  The next step is to develop a coherent and cohesive RFP document and have it reviewed by stakeholders and the ID task force before issuing the RFP.  In addition, there will be a need for an external subject matter expert for the RFP evaluation and also the development of an implementation plan.  There will also need to be a consensus for an integrated person data hub.  There will be a UW System Identify and Access Management workshop at the fall ITMC meeting.  Chris indicated there strong among affiliated organizations like the WCTS and they will be able to purchase off of the contract.  The goal is to have the system in place for the Human Resource System.

E-mails and IAA

There was a general discussion of both the issue of collecting e-mail addresses in IAA and sending out material like the Dual Choice insurance information centrally.  The CIOs were reminded that e-mail addresses were a data element that was going to be included in IAA.  After some discussion, there was unanimous agreement that material to be distributed system-wide should be sent out by the appropriate department on each campus rather than a central mass mailing.  There probably will be a need to modify IAA governance to include this policy.

Security/SFS

Jim Lowe distributed a sheet with the preliminary findings of the credential assessment framework assessment.  He indicated that the UW System shared Financial System will move from a local application based credential store to individual campus credential stores via the IAA Hub in mid-August, 2007.  The preliminary findings of the Credential Assessment Framework have identified the IAA system to be at a Level of Assurance (LOA) level LOA-1 and LOA-2 is the desired target for system that contain restrictive data, such as SFS.  So far, 12 of 15 campuses had completed the survey.  The survey contained 3 major sections: technical controls, policies, and procedures; password strength and complexity; and identity proofing.  Each campus CIO will be presented with a report by July 19th that identifies gaps in the system based on both the results of the Credential Assessment Framework survey and the network scan. The reports will also contain recommendations to achieve LOA2-compliance.  This timeline is critical for implementing SFS authentication using IAA by mid-August.

CIO Meeting at River Falls

Lisa Wheeler distributed some additional materials to assist the CIOs in their consulting project while visiting UW-River Falls for the July 19th and 20th CIO meeting.  In addition, Lisa explained the purpose of project and appreciation for the time the CIOs are willing to spend meeting with her staff and others from UW-River Falls.

Next meeting

The next CIO Council meeting will be July 19th and 20th at UW-River Falls.  Meeting dates, the directory of UWS CIOs and meeting summaries are available at: http://www.uwsa.edu/olit/cio/