Office of Learning and Information Technology

UW System CIO Council Meeting


July 22, 2004
780 Regent Street
Madison, WI


>CIOs and their Representatives


Dick Cleek
Mark Anderson (by teleconference)
John Berens
Joe Brown
Nancy Crabb
David Dumke
Kathy Heath
Ron Kraemer
John Krogman
Jim Lowe
Bruce Maas
Kathy Pletcher
Ed Meachen
Elena Pokot
Carrie Regenstein
Gary Smith
David Stack
John Tillman

David Alarie
Kolleen Apelgren
Ruth Anderson
Perry Brunelli
Lorie Docken
Ken Ebbe
David Hart
Bob Jokisch
David Lois
Helen McCain
Leslie Perelman>
Brian Remer
Michael Schlicht
Lori Voss
David Wirth


Bruce Maas introduced Kathy Heath, the Deputy CIO for management and administration at UW-Milwaukee.

ORACLE Contract Update - Chris Ashley

The dispute over ORACLE contract terms regarding certain software functions has been going on for three years. An internal survey revealed that most of the UW System institutions are not using the functions in question. It has come to light that the UWS institutions have authority to use Enterprise Manager, Web Cache and related features through the database suite, which diffuses most of the licensing controversy. Subsequently, Chris Ashley has sent a letter to ORACLE clarifying the UW System position. Future use of these features within version 10G needs to be explored.

The CIO Council is still concerned about the growth in contract costs as a result of supposed increases in the numbers of faculty in the last couple years.

WEROC Update

Update on the RFP

President Lyall offered DOA the option to propose a bundled solution that would allow vendors to bid on a combined reply to both the DOA and UWS RFPs. The DOA due date has been changed to coincide with the UWS due date. A protest process exists under the UWS solicitation, but not the DOA exception authority. The UWS has the option to purchase from more than one vendor.

Ed Meachen reported that President Lyall has been kept up-to-speed on all of the issues and developments. Given the full agenda, a WEROC presentation to the Board of Regents won't be feasible at their September meeting. Cora Marrett recommended presentations to executive committee members instead. Advice will be solicited from BOR Vice President David G. Walsh.

The UWS RFP was let two weeks ago. A UW-Madison amendment will go out shortly. Written questions from the vendors are due tomorrow. Additional amendments are still possible. The responses are due on the 12th of August, and will be evaluated by a five person team, which includes participants from the UWS campuses.

Ed Meachen and Annie Stunden have teleconferenced with Senator Kanavas and explained to him the history of the development of the RFP and WEROC and the implications of the Universal Service Fund on the process. The need for a broadband network for research, service and administration was stressed. For managing perceptions, it is important to describe WEROC as an owner-managed network, not an unmanaged network.

Update on the Implementation and Policy Groups

The WEROC Implementation Group has almost complete overlap with the Policy Group, so the two will be collapsed together, at least temporarily, for biweekly meetings. The UWS CBOs recommend more input to the Policy Group, especially regarding business plans. They are concerned about budgetary issues with WEROC vis-a-vis the other Common Systems.

Update on Budget

Ron Kraemer reported on the initial efforts to create a WEROC budget model, which will ultimately serve as the basis for the business model. There will considerable up-front capital costs which will likely be depreciated over five years to create an ongoing operational budget that will obviate the need to raise additional capital in the first several years. Revenue streams, both internal and external, have not yet been quantified.


The CIO Council expressed their appreciation to Ron Kraemer for all of his work on developing the budget model.

D2L Implementation Update

David Wirth has been on site visits to the UWS institutions over the last few months. He distributed a report on the work of the various subcommittees and announced the first international D2L user conference that will be held in Madison in August (see Some fifteen D2L employees will attend.

Since D2L lacks adequate whiteboard features, Learn@UW has chosen to add Macromedia's Breeze Live functionality, which goes well beyond the basic whiteboad functions (see A pilot will be hosted by UW-Stout. UW Colleges expects Breeze to be used for online tutorials. It can also be used to reduce the need for projectors (at campuses with comprehensive laptop programs such as UW-Stout) because each student can view the presentation on their own laptop. An integrated whiteboard solution will be likely be available from D2L in the near future. Support details remain to be worked out.

Problems still exist with the gradebook. The next patch from D2L is due on the 27th. If the problems aren't solved, the upgrade to version 7.3 will be compromised. Learn@UW will be down for the upgrade from 3:00 pm on August 18 until noon on August 19.

Version 7.3 is heavily influenced by input from the UW System and it represents a major effort on the part of D2L. UW-Milwaukee is also beta-testing version 7.3 and encountering the same issues as Learn@UW. The Learn@UW goal is to get onto an annual upgrade cycle instead of an ad hoc basis. All of the UWS site administrators have been working very hard for a very long time, especially in regard to testing.

Discussion of Antivirus Plans for the Fall

UW-Green Bay has created a parallel quarantine network where infected machines are routed until they are cleaned. The quarantine network provides access to tools for updating and cleaning computers. Free disks of antivirus software will be distributed in the residence halls, training will be provided for the Resident Assistants and students from the computer center will assist with installing and cleaning residents' machines.

UW-Stout uses a modified version of the free Netreg product (see to identify new computers on the network and force them to a web page that ensures the machines are up-to-date and scanned with Norton. Joe Brown will send additional information to the CIO listserv.

UW-River Falls uses Nessus (see to accomplish a similar function for checking patch levels of new computers. They have a site license for McAfee and are enforcing antivirus updates with e-policy orchestrator (ePO).

LaCrosse is testing perfigo (see to accomplish similar functions with Norton. Wireless access is still vulnerable.

At UW-Madison, DoIT works with the housing team to help scan new student machines (see A poster compaign will be set in motion in the fall to let students know that they are on their own with respect to RIAA.

UW-Platteville requires students to physically register their hardware, which is very labor intensive. Jonh Krogman spoke to all of the freshman and their parents regarding copyright issues during the orientation sessions.

UW-Eau Claire also uses Netreg, and the residence halls have their ownsupport staff. Offending computers are taken off of the network.

UW-Whitewater also uses Netreg, and ePO to push anti-virus updates for faculty and staff on both a daily and emergency basis. Faculty and staff have home use rights for the McAfee anti-virus software.

UW-Milwaukee has a major security awareness campaign to students, faculty and staff. The CSIRT team is working with Residence Life to put together detailed procedures that will be shared with the CIOs. They also use McAfee and ePO.

UW-Superior has also implemented Netreg and modified the registration list to yield the student's dorm room number. They have also installed layer three switches, which may allow for putting access control lists at the edge of the network.

Campus Password Policies

A recent survey of the UWS institutions revealed a wide variey of password policies. Paul Rediske, the head of the UWS/APBS internal auditors group, has communicated with Ed Meachen about the need for minimal best practices for password management across the UW System. The CIO Council was concerned that onerous password policies will double help desk traffic and result in passwords being written on Post-It notes that are stuck to monitors. Dick Cleek suggested that the APBS users with systemwide access be required to sign in a second time within the APBS application itself. Ed Meachen will set up a meeting with Paul Rediske and the Lawson security expert.

Report to the Common Systems Group by Strategic Initiatives, Inc.

The preliminary work by Don Norris of Strategic Initiatives ( on behalf of the UWS Common Systems group was discussed. Dick Cleek reported that the issues of process and locus of authority for defining Common Systems were surfaced. Some university systems have a more defined process. Ed Meachen is willing to take another look at these questions as well as the roles played by UWSA and the UWS institutions, especially in regard to opting in and out of various systems. Strategic Initiatives will provide text that will form the basis of an IT Summit, provide an outside view of Common Systems for the incoming UWS president and provide the grist for a collaborative IT plan.

David Hart recognized the need to celebrate the systemwide collaborative processes that have come into being surrounding Common Systems. Hopefully, that will be highlighted in the final report. Ed Meachen noted that the collaboration between UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee and the UWS comprehensive institutions is unique in higher education, and may not have been apparent to the consultant.

Kathy Pletcher noted that candidates for the UWS president's position comment that UWS is one of the few university systems that functions like a system, e.g., the D2L implementation that includes the flagship campus.

As part of the continuing process, Lorie Docken will email a spreadsheet for the institutions to record key decision points for various systems, including:

  • legacy systems
  • student systems
  • financial systems
  • HR systems
  • portals
  • wireless
  • other systems

Don Norris was very impressed with the direction of the Common Systems Interoperability Architecture Working Group (CSAIWG, see and the potential for technology to create new levels of value.

ITMC Meeting

Suggestions of agenda items for the September 13-14 ITMC meeting are welcome. Send them to the Executive Committee at The CIO Council will meet as the WEROC Policy Council will meet on the afternoon of the 14th and there will be no CIO Council meeting on that Thursday.

August CIO Council Meeting

The next CIO Council Meeting will be on August 12th, 2004.

The IT Summit will be in either December or January.