Eligible employees are granted vacation according to their appointment type and/or years of service.
Vacation hours are granted at hire (pro-rated for the year based on start date) and at the start of the calendar year for Classified employees and the start of the fiscal year (July 1st) for Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees.
All employees who earn sick leave are granted vacation except Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited appointees on an academic year (nine-month) contract.
Once the annual vacation allotment is granted, vacation may be used before it's earned during that annual period. Vacation can be used from the first day of employment - Classified employees must serve their original six month probationary period before vacation can be used. Use of vacation, like all other paid leave, must be approved by your supervisor.
If vacation is not used within the year it is earned, it may be carried over into the following year. If vacation is not used by the end of the carryover period, it will be lost.
- Classified employees can carry over vacation until the end of the following calendar year (December 31).
- Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees can carry over vacation until the end of the following fiscal year (June 30).
Termination of Employment
At termination of employment, any remaining unused vacation or banked vacation can be:
- Paid out as a lump sum on your final check, or
- Used to extend your time on payroll (supervisor approval needed if you are Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointee).
- Vacation is based on years of service and whether or not you are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Refer to your appointment letter to determine if you are FLSA exempt or non-exempt.
- Classified project employees who never attained permanent status will earn vacation at the rate of 104 hours/year for Non-Exempt and 120 hours/year for Exempt regardless of years of state service.
- Vacation is pro-rated if part-time.
- Vacation is granted on calendar-year basis.
- See below for Craftsworkers accrual.
Hours Earned Each Year Years of Service FLSA Non-Exempt FLSA Exempt and
During First 5 104 120 5+ to 10 144 160 l0+ to 15 160 176 15+ to 20 184 200 20+ to 25 200 216 25 & Over 216 216
Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Appointees
- Earn 176 hours (22 days) of vacation per fiscal year. Vacation is pro-rated if part-time. The fiscal year is July 1 – June 30.
Craftsworkers allocated to positions in schedule 04 will be provided annual leave in accordance with provisions of ch. 230, Wis. Stats., and ch. ER 18, Wis. Adm. Code except that the amount of annual leave will be determined as follows:
- Employees shall begin earning annual leave on their first day in pay status.
- After completion of the first six (6) months in a permanent or seasonal position, employees are eligible for and shall be granted noncumulative annual leave based on the rate of one hundred (100) hours (12 1/2 days) for a full year of service each year.
- For those employees who elect, with a corresponding adjustment to their prevailing rate, employees are eligible for and shall be granted noncumulative annual leave based on the rate of one hundred forty (140) hours (17 1/2 days) or one hundred eighty hours (22 1/2 days) for a full year of service each year.
- Seasonal employees who are regularly employed for less than twelve (12) months out of a year and permanent part-time employees shall be granted pro rata annual leave.
- Election of the level of annual leave granted will be done once per calendar year per agency procedures.
- Annual leave for covered employees shall be prorated during the first calendar year of employment and upon termination of employment.
Once certain eligibility requirements are met, employees can bank (save) unused vacation for use at a later date. Banked leave does not expire and accumulates from year to year without limit. Banked leave can be used like any other paid leave. Use of banked leave, like all other paid leave, must be approved by your supervisor.
If an employee is part-time, the amount of leave that can be banked is pro-rated based on the employee’s appointment percentage.
Classified Employees – Sabbatical Leave and Vacation Cash-Outs
Classified* employees may put unused vacation hours in a sabbatical account per the schedule below.
|Years of Service||FLSA Non-Exempt||FLSA Exempt|
|First 5 Years||0 hours||0 hours|
|5+ to 10 Years||0 hours||40 hours|
|10+ to 15 Years||40 hours||40 hours|
|15+ to 20 Years||40 hours||80 hours|
|20+ to 25 Years||80 hours||120 hours|
|25+ Years||120 hours||120 hours|
|Earn < 160 hrs of vacation
& have accrued at least
520 hrs of sick leave
|40 hours||40 hours|
*Craftsworkers are not eligible to put vacation hours into a sabbatical account.
Once an employee begins earning 200 hours of vacation per year, the employee can receive a portion of their eligible banking amount as a cash payout. For example, if the employee is eligible to bank 80 hours of vacation, the employee can receive 40 hours as a cash payout and put 40 hours into sabbatical.
|Employee Group||Annual Vacation Allotment
When 1st Eligible to Receive
Cash Payout of 40 Vacation Hours
|Years of Service Needed to Be
Eligible to Receive Cash Payout
of 40 Vacation Hours
|Non-FLSA Exempt||200 hours (25 days)||Can begin in 21st year|
|FLSA Exempt||200 hours (25 days)||Can begin in 16th year|
*Does not apply to Craftsworkers
The option to bank vacation hours and/or receive a vacation cash-out is offered in late fall of each year.
Note: If an employee’s anniversary date falls in the middle of the year, the employee is allowed the banking and/or cash-out privilege in that calendar year. The amount allowed to bank and/or cash-out will be pro-rated based on when the employee’s anniversary falls.
Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees - Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA)
Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees may put unused vacation in an Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) per the schedule below.
|Hours that can be
placed in ALRA
|First 10 Years||0|
|10+ to 25 Years||40|
|25 Years & Over||80|
Eligibility to bank vacation begins in July following the fiscal year in which the employee qualifies based on years of service.
Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees may not receive a cash payout of vacation.