News & Events - University of Wisconsin System
University of Wisconsin System
Backgrounder on Southworth decision
Oct. 1, 2002
- The 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals today has upheld the constitutionality
of the UW's mandatory student fee system.
- We have always believed that our mandatory fee system was constitutional
and viewpoint neutral, as required by the U.S. Supreme Court, and the
appeals court decision clearly affirms our position.
- The appeals court decision also points out that the university has
taken great care in developing a system for distributing student fee
revenue - with specific criteria and an appropriate appeals process
- that ensures viewpoint neutrality.
- In the areas the court suggested were problematic, we are confident
the university will make the necessary changes to satisfy the court's
- This is good news for our students and for our longstanding belief that public universities are, and should be, marketplaces for the robust exchange of ideas.
The Oct. 1 decision of the 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals can be accessed online: http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/op3.fwx?submit1=showop&caseno=01-1912.169.PDF