- Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA)
- American Multicultural Student Leadership Conference (AMSLC)
- Disability Resources
- Equity Scorecard
- Grants & Awards
- Inclusivity Initiative for LGBTQ People
- Multicultural / Disadvantaged Coordinators (MDC)
- Past Strategic Plans
- President's Advisory Committee on Health, Safety, & Security (PACHSS)
- Sexual Violence Prevention
- Student Representatives
Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards
Congratulations to this years' Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award Recipients!
We honor your hard work and dedication.
The UW System Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards are organized and supported annually by the UW System Women's Studies Consortium and Office of Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Student Success. The awards and recognition ceremony was initiated in 1994 to acknowledge the ties and shared concerns among administrators, faculty, staff, and students within women's studies and ethnic studies, and to uphold a continuing commitment to Plan 2008: Educational Quality through Racial and Ethnic Diversity (work that is continued through Inclusive Excellence efforts across the UW System). At the annual awards ceremony and luncheon, award recipients receive well-earned acknowledgement by both the UW System and their home campus community.
The nominations are requested for the 2014 Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards. Nominators should check with their Chancellor's office regarding campus deadlines. Institutions will submit the materials of their award recipient by March 1, 2014. The award will take place at UW-River Falls on October 18, 2014. Institutions submit items electronically to the Women’s Studies Consortium Office at email@example.com.
- Honoree Information Form (Due March 1, 2014)
- Women of Color 2014 Nomination Letter
Outstanding Woman of Color in Education Selection Process:
- The selection is entirely campus-based: Chancellors, in consultation with the M/D Coordinator, Women’s Studies Administrator, campus contact for the Status of Women, and Affirmative Action Officer, will select one woman of color from their institution who has made outstanding contributions to the UW System (diversity and women’s studies scholarship and activism).
- Potential honoree may be any one of the following: UW System faculty, staff, student, or active community member.
- The Chancellor’s Office will notify the selected honoree. The Conference Planning Committee will communicate with honoree about the details of the ceremony, reception, and conference.
- After selection is completed, no later than March 1, 2014, please send:
- Completed honoree information form,
- A one-page summary of honoree’s contributions to diversity and women’s studies, and
- An electronic photograph suitable for display on line (72 dpi. No larger than 700 pixles on the longest side).
Please check with your Chancellors Office for campus deadlines. Institutions are to submit items for one award recipient electronically to the Women’s Studies Consortium Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Women of color who have worked in the areas of women’s studies scholarship and activism, especially as they have served to improve the status and climate for women, particularly women of color.
- Women of color who have advocated for women, particularly women of color.
- Women of color who have consistently demonstrated their ability to rally diverse forces together to advance the agenda of women, particularly that of women of color.
- Women of color who have created positive changes at your institutional level, i.e., curriculum development and infusion, receiving grants, and mentoring women.
- Women of color who have demonstrated an understanding of the interplay of family and community and culture in the lives of women of color.
The honorees will be invited to attend the formal recognition ceremony on Saturday, October 18, 2014. The University of Wisconsin System Women’s Studies Consortium, and the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, will jointly support the awards ceremony and attendance at the luncheon for family and guests of the honorees, and offer an invitation to the honorees to attend the joint 38th Annual Wisconsin Women’s Studies and 9th Annual LGBTQ Conference. We ask that the campus cover the cost of their transportation to and from the conference and any necessary lodging. The Women’s Studies Consortium office will communicate with honorees about the details of the ceremony and reception. More information about past Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award recipients can also be found on the Women’s Studies Consortium Website: http://wsc.uwsa.edu/events/woc/recipients.htm
If you have additional questions, please contact the Helen Klebesadel, Director, UW System Women’s Studies Consortium, 608-262-3056 or email@example.com.
Please like the University of Wisconsin System’s Woman of Color Facebook group page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/UW-Systems-Women-of-Color-in-Education/516539345142990.
This page will be used for posting employment and academic opportunities, information on the upcoming Outstanding Women of Color in Education honoring ceremony at the 38th Annual Wisconsin Women’s Studies Conference and the 9th Annual UW System LGBTQ Conference on October 18, 2014, and other pertinent information regarding diversity/inclusion/equity within the UW System educational institutions.