UW System Position on Bills Introduced in the Legislature During the 2005-2006 Session
(By the Law Revision Committee)
1. This bill changes the membership of the State Laboratory of Hygiene Board by substituting the chancellor of UW-Madison for the president of the UW System.
2. This bill clarifies the nonresident tuition exemption for the admission of veterans to UW System institutions.
3. This bill deletes the reference to a 5th year clerkship as part of a foreign medical student’s transfer program at the UW-Madison Medical School and changes the statutes to reflect the new name of the Medical School.
Referred to the Senate Committee on Higher Education and Tourism
UW System Position
1. SUPPORT: The Director of the State Laboratory of Hygiene is appointed by the UW-Madison chancellor and therefore to maintain consistency with the appointment authority, it is more appropriate for the UW representative on this Board to be the chancellor or the chancellor ’s designee.
2. SUPPORT: Current law grants nonresident tuition exemptions for the UW System to nonresident veterans who were honorably discharged from military service within four years of “registering” at a UW institution. There is an administrative difficulty with the word “registering” as a student actually registers for classes many times while enrolled at the UW. This bill changes the word “registering” to “applying.”
3. SUPPORT: There currently is no 5th year clerkship available at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health (or at any other U.S. medical school.)