Synopsis of UW System Moving Policy
General Policy Reimbursement Limitations
No poundage or dollar limits, but maximum tariff rates cannot be exceeded.
Stipend allowance for indirect costs - $1,000 maximum (1)
One-way mileage at 51¢ between old and new residence for transporting family(2)
Specific Reimbursable Charges/Costs:
Reimbursable costs include personal household effects of the employe and
the immediate family of the employe. Examples include furniture, clothing,
musical instruments, household appliances, food and other items which are
usual and necessary for the maintenance of a household and which may be
transported legally in interstate commerce. The following direct costs of
relocation are reimbursable:
- linehaul (rate per 100 lbs. x pounds moved)
- seasonal rate adjustment
- weight and bulky articles charges except for items listed in Section III, B.1. above
- third party services associated with crating, uncrating, assembling, or disassembling typical household items such as a pool table, appliances, clocks, hot tubs, plasma televisions, etc. (See exception in Section III.B.3 below.)
- ferry, bridge, ramp; service charge
- appliance service
- additional transportation at origin and destination
- fuel/insurance surcharge (this is not a change the employee has control over)
Incidental Costs of Relocation:
The following items/services are not reimbursable as a direct cost of the move but may be covered by a stipend, if granted by the appointing authority:
- exclusive use/space reservation/expedited service charges
- house hunting
- valuation/additional insurance
- extra pickup and/or delivery of household goods
- storage for the convenience of the employee
- warehouse handling
- weight and bulky articles charges for items listed in Section III.B.1.
- auto hauling or towing (Item 130)
- travel costs enroute (meals, lodging, tolls, etc.)
- overtime loading or unloading required by customer (Item 175)
- weight and bulky article charges for items listed in Section III, B.1.
- third party services for swingsets, jungle gyms, and other outdoor items
- other costs associated with the move that are not considered household effects
Note: The stipend allowance, if granted, is intended for use in paying the non-reimbursable indirect costs listed above.
The recommendation of an appointing authority to pay relocation or temporary lodging expenses must be submitted in writing to the Chancellor or delegated designee for approval prior to the move and before authorizing payments to the employee. The request should contain the reason and the estimated amount of direct and/or indirect costs that are intended to be reimbursed. If partial reimbursement is to be made, that dollar amount should be indicated. The Chancellor or delegated designee will approve or disapprove the request and return it to the department, indicating that approval has been granted or stating the reason(s) for disapproval.
Obtain prior written approval and dollar amount from appointing authority to pay moving costs.
Use of a contract vendor (Piepho Moving Systems/Allied Van Lines or Schroeder Moving Systems/United Van Lines) is strongly encouraged. If a noncontract vendor's services are desired, 3 estimates, at least one from a contract vendor, must be obtained with reimbursement limited to lowest of the three.
Clear any unusual arrangements with UW System Travel Office through the appointing authority.
Pay for cost of move and seek reimbursement on a travel expense report.
See "Tips For a Smoother Move" which may help avoid moving problems, particularly if a non-contract vendor is used.
- Caution: Scam movers abound. If one of the UW's contract vendors is not used, go to www.movingscam.com and click on the "blacklist" to view a list of companies that have repeatedly practiced scams against consumers.
Resources For Assistance:
Institution Travel Coordinator http://www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/direct/travcoord.htm
UW System Travel Web Site - http://www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/travel.htm
FAP - Relocation and Temporary Lodging Policy (F19) - http://www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/fppp/fppp19.htm
Depending on funding available, appointing authority may set a reimbursement limit below this amount. Note: When a written authorized maximum amount is not provided, the University may incur a larger than anticipated expenditure.
Reimbursement for cost of airfare up to the cost to drive may be allowed in place of mileage reimbursement.