Carrying Weapons or Firearms at University of Wisconsin Institutions (G51)
Created: October 14, 2011
Wisconsin Act 35 created or revised several sections of the Wisconsin Statutes which detail the specific responsibilities and constraints associated with carrying concealed weapons in the State. This policy is written to establish consistent policies for the exercise of those responsibilities and constraints at University of Wisconsin System institutions and/or at University of Wisconsin System events.
Purpose and Scope. The purpose of this policy is to establish restrictions on the ability to carry weapons or firearms at a UW System institution in accordance with 2011 Wisconsin Act 35.
- All college and university buildings, both owned and leased, including stadia and athletic facilities, must be posted with signage prohibiting individuals from carrying weapons or firearms in the building. The signs must be posted in a prominent place near each and every entrance so that any individual entering the building can be reasonably expected to see the sign. Exceptions may be authorized by the chief administrative officer (chancellor or campus dean) or his or her designee.
- All special events organized by a UW System institution must be posted with signage prohibiting individuals from carrying weapons or firearms at the special event. The signs must be posted in a prominent place near each and every entrance to the event area so that any individual entering the event can be reasonably expected to see the sign. Exceptions may be authorized by the chief administrative officer or his or her designee.
- Employees and volunteers of UW System institutions are prohibited from carrying a firearm or weapon while acting in the course and scope of their employment or duties, either on or off university property, regardless of whether the employee or volunteer has a license to carry a firearm or weapon. This prohibition does not apply to those employed as a law enforcement officer or peace officer or to those who have the written approval of the chief administrative officer or his or her designee to carry a firearm or weapon while on duty.
- No vehicle owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of a UW System institution may be used to store or carry a firearm or weapon, except as otherwise provided in this policy.
- Personal Vehicles. Any person, including employees and students, with a license to carry a firearm or weapon, may possess and store a weapon or firearm in his or her personal vehicle.
- Violations. Violations of this policy may constitute a criminal offense, qualify as student misconduct subject to discipline, and/or result in employment discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
- Adoption of Policy. UW System institutions may adopt policies and procedures consistent with this policy.
- Effect. In the event any institutional policy conflicts with this policy, the terms of this policy shall govern.
- Purpose and Scope. The purpose of this policy is to establish restrictions on the ability to carry weapons or firearms at a UW System institution in accordance with 2011 Wisconsin Act 35.
This policy applies to all University faculty, staff, and students as well as all agents, guests, and visitors. University Police and Security departments are charged with enforcement of this policy.