Twelve/Fifteen-Passenger Van Information
Effective July 1, 2002
The safety of our students, faculty and staff must be our number one priority. Accordingly, the following policy regarding rental and use of 12/15-passenger vans is effective July 1, 2002:
- A ban of all student drivers of 12/15-passenger vans with the exception of students over the age of 25 that meet all System driving requirements and complete required training for operating 12/15-passenger vans.
- A ban of all towing with 12/15-passenger vans regardless of the driver.
- A ban of any car top carriers with 12/15-passenger vans.
- A block on leasing of 12/15-passenger vans through current State and University contracts unless reviewed and approved by the institution's risk management office. (Under no circumstances will students be allowed to lease or drive 12/15-passenger vans.)
- 12/15-passenger vans can be used to transport cargo if the cargo and passengers are restricted in size and weight and number to the manufacturer's suggested rated capacity of the vehicle.
- UW System faculty and staff will be allowed to continue driving 12/15-passenger vans as long as they meet System driving requirements and complete required training for operating 12/15-passenger vans and meet a minimum age requirement of 25.
Any exception to this Policy must be made in writing and approved by the chancellor of each System institution, with the concurrence of the UW System Risk Management Office.