Regent Policy Documents
SECTION 6: ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS
6-6 DELEGATION TO SYSTEM PRESIDENT
The following items are delegated to the System President:
- Requests for authorization to recruit replacements for vacancies below the vice chancellor level.
- Approval of Board of Visitor appointments that fall within the limit of fifteen per board. (Regent approval would continue to be required for expanding boards beyond fifteen members).
- Approval of vice chancellor and vice president salaries for new hires that fall within the range approved by the Board policy. (Currently, the Board approves both an authorization to recruit within a specified range and then acts to approve the specific salary once a candidate is identified. This delegation would have the Regents act only once, in setting the authorized salary range.)
- Authority to appoint and set the salary of University of Wisconsin Colleges Interim Campus Deans.
- Authority under Wis. Stats. § 36.09(1)( e) to approve appointment of: State Geologist, Director of the State Laboratory of Hygiene, Director of the Psychiatric Institute, and State Cartographer.
- Authority to approve named professorships, subject to final Board approval.
- Authority to grant an unclassified staff member an extension of a leave of absence beyond five years for the reasons enumerated in Regent Policy Document 20-6, Section III.
- Eliminate second readings of honorary degree nominations unless an objection or question has been raised about a candidate at the first reading.
- Eliminate the requirement to report to the Board "intention to recruit" deans with salaries below 75% of the President's salary.
History: Res. 8457 adopted 10/5/01; Res. 8996 adopted 4/8/05; Res. 9704 adopted 12/11/09.
The Regent Policy Documents were adopted and are maintained pursuant to the policy-making authority vested in the Board of Regents by Wis. Stats. § 36. The Regent Policy Documents manifest significant policies approved by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. This document is a ready reference for those charged with carrying out these policies. Unless noted otherwise, associated documents and reports may be obtained from the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Regents, 1860 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, ph 608-262-2324. http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/policies/