Regent Policy Documents
SECTION 24: HOUSING RULES AND REGULATIONS
24-3 RESIDENCE HALLS VISITATION
Residence hall visitation policy is a matter for individual campus action within the guidelines below. Within this policy, each institution shall insure that the visitation option, or options, selected fall consistently within the educational mission of the institution and not interfere with the institution's educational program.
- Visitation is defined as those time periods when residents may invite friends or relatives of the opposite sex to visit them in their residence hall rooms. The visitation policies developed under these guidelines shall permit only visitation; cohabitation and sexual behaviors illegal under Wisconsin statute are prohibited.
- Campus visitation options are defined by this resolution as: (a) Closed: A policy in which no visitation is permitted; (b) Limited: A policy in which in no case shall room visitation exceed a maximum of 17 hours per day, with residence halls closed not later than 2:00 a.m. on any day; and (c) Open: A policy in which a maximum of 24 hours of visitation is permitted.
- Campuses may elect to have closed and limited visitation or closed, limited, and open visitation, but whatever options are chosen, the opportunity to reside in areas having closed and limited visitation shall be provided to both men and women on every campus.
- When applying for a room in a residence hall, students shall choose among the visitation options offered by the campus.
- All students under the age of 18 at the beginning of the academic year in which they enroll shall live in non-coeducational, non-visitation areas unless special parental or guardian permission to live in limited or open visitation areas accompanies their application for residence.
- Students who live in University of Wisconsin System residence halls shall participate in the development of visitation policies for the halls in which they reside through local campus housing governments.
- Campus visitation policies must be approved by the Chancellor.
History: Res. 1089 adopted 10/24/75; replaces 73-1; amended by 79-1.
The Regent Policy Documents were adopted and are maintained pursuant to the policy-making authority vested in the Board of Regents by Wis. Stats. § 36. The Regent Policy Documents manifest significant policies approved by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. This document is a ready reference for those charged with carrying out these policies. Unless noted otherwise, associated documents and reports may be obtained from the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Regents, 1860 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, ph 608-262-2324. http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/policies/