Regent Policy Documents
SECTION 20: FACULTY, ACADEMIC STAFF, AND TEACHING ASSISTANTS
20-3 ACADEMIC STAFF APPOINTMENTS
Pursuant to Wis. Stats. § 36.09(1), the Board of Regents, upon recommendation of the President of the University of Wisconsin System and with endorsement from the State of Wisconsin Personnel Board, adopts the following policy concerning the designation of positions to be exempt from the classified service as academic staff, as defined in Wis. Stats. §§ 36.15(1) (a) and (b):
- Assignments to academic staff positions, which are exempt from the classified service and subject to personnel rules defined in UWS 8 through 13, shall be made when: (a) the position involves teaching, research, public service responsibilities, academic support activities, or academic program administration; or (b) the position is separate and distinct to higher education; or (c) the position involves assigned duties that require close peer relationships with members of the faculty and academic administrators.
- In no instance may an employee be appointed to the academic staff when it is anticipated that application will subsequently be made for transfer of the position to the classified service.
- No person holding an academic staff appointment prior to the adoption of this policy may be transferred to the classified service without his or her consent.
- The chancellor of each institution shall appoint a committee or committees that will be given responsibility for advising the campus administration on matters pertaining to: (a) assuring compliance with this policy, (b) developing appropriate institutional guidelines and procedures for appointments to the academic staff, and (c) reviewing and approving all applications for transfer between the academic staff and the classified service.
- Nothing in this policy or in the institutional guidelines adopted pursuant to this policy shall be interpreted to permit assignment to the academic staff of positions normally found in clerical, technical, blue collar, crafts, security and public safety occupations.
History: Res. 984 adopted 4/11/75.
The Regent Policy Documents were adopted and are maintained pursuant to the policy-making authority vested in the Board of Regents by Wis. Stats. § 36. The Regent Policy Documents manifest significant policies approved by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. This document is a ready reference for those charged with carrying out these policies. Unless noted otherwise, associated documents and reports may be obtained from the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Regents, 1860 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, ph 608-262-2324. http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/policies/