Regent Policy Documents
SECTION 20: FACULTY, ACADEMIC STAFF, CLASSIFIED STAFF, AND TEACHING ASSISTANTS
20-18 REVIEW OF UNIVERSITY PERSONNEL POLICIES AND PRACTICES
This policy applies to all UW institutions and their use of limited status for
The purpose of this policy is to promote compliance with state requirements related to the use of limited appointments for unclassified staff, provide for accountability in the recruitment and employment of administrators, and eliminate the use of “back-up” appointments.
- The policy of the UW System Board of Regents is to ensure that limited appointments meet the following principles: As required by s. 36.17, Wis. Stats., limited appointees holding concurrent UW System faculty or academic staff appointments under ss. 36.13 and 36.15, Wis. Stats., shall not lose those faculty or academic staff appointments upon accepting a limited appointment.
- Limited appointees entering UW System employment from other institutions and either: (a) holding a tenured faculty position elsewhere or (b) having been recruited to a position with a requirement or expectation of tenurability, and who have been recommended for tenure by the appropriate UW department may be granted a concurrent tenure appointment as part of the employment contract process.
- The status or the length of the term of a concurrent appointment held by a limited appointee may not be altered while the individual is serving in the limited appointment.
- Limited appointees entering UW System from other institutions who do not hold tenure elsewhere and were not recruited with a tenurability requirement shall not be granted concurrent appointments; however, at the discretion of the appointing authority, such employees may be granted not more than six months notice of termination as permitted under s. UWS 15.01, Wisconsin Administrative Code, at the same salary, and with possible reassignment to other duties during this period.
- Limited appointments shall be permitted only for those positions enumerated in s. 36.17, Wis. Stats., unless the UW System President or Chancellor authorizes the addition of such a limited appointment, as permitted by s. UWS 15.02, Wisconsin Administration Code.
Oversight, Roles and Responsibilities
UW chancellors will have responsibility for the implementation and oversight of the use of limited appointments at UW institutions and for compliance with all applicable policies and state requirements. UW System will continue to monitor the use of limited appointments and concurrent appointments for all UW institutions. Office of Human Resources and Workforce Diversity has responsibility for establishing guidelines for use and monitoring compliance with this policy.
Related RPDs and Applicable Laws
Chapter 36, Wis. Stats., Chapter UWS 15, Wis. Admin. Code
History: Res. 9091 adopted 11/11/2005; amended by Res. 9908 4/8/2011.
The Regent Policy Documents were adopted and are maintained pursuant to the policy-making authority vested in the Board of Regents by Wis. Stats. § 36. The Regent Policy Documents manifest significant policies approved by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. This document is a ready reference for those charged with carrying out these policies. Unless noted otherwise, associated documents and reports may be obtained from the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Regents, 1860 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, ph 608-262-2324. http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/policies/