Regent Policy Documents
SECTION 19: FACILITIES
19-12 OVERSIGHT OF FACILITIES CONSTRUCTED FOR UNIVERSITY PURPOSES
To insure that facilities constructed by the private sector with an expectation of university ownership do not create extraordinary liabilities for the University of Wisconsin System or the State, the following parameters reflect the consensus of the Board of Regents:
- The Board of Regents reaffirms the positions stated in Resolution 5501:
- Such projects should not be initiated without an opportunity being provided for the regents to determine the appropriateness of the proposed funds and/or project(s) to System needs.
- The need for a project that also requires a General Purpose Revenue contribution, or a project that would otherwise utilize General Purpose Revenue as a prescribed funding source, should be evidenced by its inclusion in long-range campus plans that reflect overall needs.
- Consistent with Wis. Stats. § 36.29(7), all construction on behalf of the University System shall be subject to prior approval of the Building Commission.
- Construction of such facilities shall not begin without an opportunity being afforded to the University System and the Department of Administration to review and comment on plans and specifications. Review shall take into consideration initial, ongoing, and long-term costs.
- To assure that the facilities are constructed according to the plans and specifications and that relevant comments made by System Administration and/or the Department of Administration during the review process are incorporated, the Department of Administration shall be encouraged to provide supervision of construction as allowed by Wis. Stats. § 16.85(12).
History: Res. 6304 adopted 12/11/92.
The Regent Policy Documents were adopted and are maintained pursuant to the policy-making authority vested in the Board of Regents by Wis. Stats. § 36. The Regent Policy Documents manifest significant policies approved by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. This document is a ready reference for those charged with carrying out these policies. Unless noted otherwise, associated documents and reports may be obtained from the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Regents, 1860 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, ph 608-262-2324. http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/policies/