Residency for Tuition Purposes
Upon admission students are classified as residents or non-residents. Residency for tuition purposes is based upon standards set forth in Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2), which govern resident status for tuition purposes. These standards are different from other standards used to determine residency for voting, paying taxes, and other purposes. Therefore, it is important that you understand the Wisconsin statute governing resident status for tuition purposes and how it may apply to you.
Informational Brochures, Guidelines, & Freqently Asked Questions
- "Residency for Tuition Purposes" brochure (pdf) - July 2011
- Minnesota Reciprocity
- Section 39.47–Minnesota-Wisconsin Student Reciprocity Agreement
- Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity Application
Guidelines for implementing the HEOA (20 U.S.C. §1015d) providing in-state tuition to certain members of the Armed Forces and their families.
Campus Residency Contacts
- Wisconsin Statutes
- Section 36.27–Tuition [for Residents and Nonresidents]
- Wisconsin Administrative Code
- Chapter UWS 20–Nonresident Tuition Determination Procedures and Appeals
- Federal Statutes
- 20 U.S.C. 1015d—In-State Tuition Rates for Members of the Armed Forces on Active Duty, Spouses, and Dependent Children